Slipway and Vessel Careening

Slipway and Vessel Careening

Kimberley Ports Authority (KPA) has a management system in place for activities that are permitted at the Port of Broome Slipway to ensure compliance with environmental legislation.

An application to slip a vessel or store a vessel at Port of Broome is required to be made with the Operations department.

Please read the information pack and Frequently Asked Questions documents prior to applying to slip or careen a vessel at Port of Broome:

A KPA Permit to Work System is in place to assist safe work practices and site environmental management.

Why is the use of port lands controlled?

KPA wishes to ensure that work carried out at the Slipway area is completed safely and in accordance with relevant legislation.

Port users working on the Slipway and Slipway Area are required to comply with all relevant laws, regulations and procedures including KPA’s Port Standards and Procedures, the Port Authorities Act 1999, the Port Authorities Regulations 2001 and relevant safety and environmental legislation.

To assist Port Users to comply with their obligations KPA has developed procedures and guidelines

What is the process to use the Slipway or Slipway Area?

  • Access the Slipway Information Pack or email KPA's Operations Department 
  • Complete the Application Form before the Slipway or Slipway Area is used and submit to KPA Operations for approval. The form is available from Operations
  • Provide KPA with a valid certificate of currency from your insurer for the level of insurance identified in the information pack.
  • Ensure your contractors have approval to be on Port lands and hold Public Liability and Workers Compensation insurance.
  • Ensure that you have a current port induction. If you do not have an induction please go to the Online Induction page and follow the instructions.
  • Obtain all relevant approvals from KPA. Permit approvals can be sourced from the Permit to Work System page.

When you have finished the work, you must have the applicable permit signed off in accordance with KPA work permit procedures.

Do I need to notify KPA if I intend to careen my vessel?

Yes. KPA’s work permit system needs to be followed when careening a vessel. An application should be made in good time to allow for this process and please email: